My sisters and I were given the opportunity to preview a new CW series, called Emily Owens, MD staring Mam Gummer, daughter of Meryl Streep.
This is going to be the first of many blogposts that my sisters and I have been compiling, because we watched the preview about a month ago and couldn’t publish sooner…although we really wanted too, because the show is AWESOME!
It’s SO good that we watched it almost 3 times in a row!
- The first time, we watched it all the way through without pausing, just like we would if we were watching it on TV.
- The second time was paused every few minutes. We would rewind when we didn’t understand something, didn’t hear correctly, or wanted to watch something more closely.
- Then, the third time we just fast forward to funny scenes to laugh at a bit harder, over and over again…or watch the cool medical scenes we wanted to take notes so we can research and learn more…that’s why this is called a “Homeschool Unit Study”.
The little things that you may think don’t matter, may matter the most. So, listen closely to each word or number shared, and learn…because only until the end of the debut show will you learn what truly IS a “worse day ever”. I loved Emily Owen’s remark, that someone might think she’s “totally absorbed”, and the reply back was “you’re only human.”
We watched an interview with Mamie Gummer on hulu, and she said that “this show is a show for girls who want to do their homework and WANT to learn”; because my sisters and I (and our mom) are part of the that group of girls. We absolutely loved the pilot and preview!
Even though we don’t relate to her having a nefarious nemesis (check JoJo’s resarch below for details), a ball-vary plan that back-fired or as many or as big insecurities as Emily, you just love and relate to her from the second the screen turns on! It’s odd, and I call it pure talent!
No need to worry about your girls (or kids, period) getting addicted to this show, because, God willing, the kids (especially those girls who want to learn ) will want to understand this show to it’s fullest will watch it over and over just to catch some words they don’t or didn’t understand–or at least that’s what happened to our family.
Will it happen to yours!? We’re SO curious.
To give you an idea:
- Nefarious was a spelling word Emily had in her grade school spelling bee, she shares the definition in the show, but JoJo wasn’t quite sure what nemesis meant, so Mama had her write down the words to hit the dictionary.
- NEFARIOUS – wicked or criminal
- NEMESIS – the rival or opponent who usually wins
Enjoy the pilot’s preview below!
It’ll debuting on Tuesday, October 16, 2012 on CW at 9pm ET or 6pm PT for us new-West Coast girls!
So, will you be watching it?